Monday, April 30, 2012

The Day all Hail Broke Loose...

Saturday morning, I woke up expecting an eventful day.  However, the eventful day I was expecting was not as eventful as it turned out to be.  I woke up at 7 to prep for the Monticello Society Brunch (a brunch to honor CAFNR's donors) and pack my bags for home.  I enjoyed the brunch and dashed back to the dorm to change and load up the car to go home.  I knew that I was going to be an hour late to my cousin's anniversary party so I dashed out of Columbia as fast as I could (legally). 

As I neared the Kingdom City exit, halfway between Columbia and home, they came on the radio to announce a severe thunderstorm warning for Callaway and Montgomery Counties (the two counties I go through on the interstate on my way home).  I brushed it off as just a strong thunderstorm and continued on home.  This girl was not stopping.  She had family and friends to go see. 

Sooner than later, it started to sprinkle, then pour, then pea-size hail, dime size hail, and everything after that I was not worried about size anymore.  I could hear it pounding dents all over my car.  Next thing I know, one came down and cracked my windshield, and more proceeded to do the same.  Needless to say, when I got off the Interstate to pull under a gas station overhang, I was happy to run inside and no longer hear the banging. 

Dad came up to see if the windshield (and driver) were okay enough to finish the drive home.  By then, I wasn't as shaken up, just nervous about not having a car for a week, especially right before I move.  So here I am, stranded at the mercy of those kind enough to give me rides.  To those of you who have and will, thank you!

My poor windshield when I got to the gas station.  Ouch.
The sad thing is that I was driving along a guy in a beautifully restored Chevy pickup.  Unfortunately, he got caught in the hail as well.

Stay Safe (and Hail Free!)
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment